Friday, January 09, 2009

First Entry for 2009




Just returned from a family/business trip back east. A couple relatives requested engagement portraits. I’m known to travel light often not even taking a camera. On this trip I packed a Nikon D300 mounted w/ a 35-70 mm 2.8. Eventually, I borrowed a backdrop & Nikon SB800 from a local associate.

I managed to capture the images however with much difficulty and postproduction. The cold and windy weather forced us to schedule an indoor session. The second sesson it was collar tugging chilly but we marched forward regardless.

I was so grateful that I was able to draw on my many years of field photography. Murphy’s Law is applicable to environmental and on-location portraiture. An understanding of Photoshop can be a reputation saver. The art of fine digital portraiture is learnable but it has taken me years of burning the midnight oil. Even now I feel like I’m cooking at 20% of my capability.