Friday, August 21, 2009

Deception Pass Boat Tour



Okay I’m often accused of not having a life outside my business model so yesterday evening I took a slight detour. As part of Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce’s Business After Hours, Deception Pass Tours offered an oyster barbecue and Deception Pass Bridge boat tour. I shut down shop early at the Oak Harbor Public Market and took flight to board the 5:30 departure.

The weather was great but the ride a bit rougher than normal. A lot of sea spray and rough water which was exacerbated by a flat bottom boat. This was not a digital camera friendly ride. My advice is to take at least a couple of tours to get the gist of the waterways and be prepared for adverse conditions. Deception Pass is not a water park ride. On Tuesday’s tour the waters were glass smooth. Northwest Dolphin cycled at the helm or bobbed on the horizon. Water fowl was abundant and surfacing Harbor Seals were almost at arm’s length.

The barbecued oysters, a first for me, were exquisite! What-A-go Deception Pass Tours and Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce Business After Hours! You’ll get my business every time.